Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

She ate at midnight then I woke up to her vomiting. There

Customer Question

She ate at midnight then I woke up to her vomiting. There were 5/6 spots around my apartment. Lots of food thrown up and the last time was clear with a spot of red in it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sophia she is 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophia?
Customer: She is on ear drops for an ear infection
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your girl Sophia. Does she seem lethargic? Have you noticed any other symptoms? Can she keep water down?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She just threw up again. Clear fluid. I gave her a small amount of water about 45 minutes ago.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Ok - poor girl. I am typing up a response now and will have this with you in the next few minutes.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Sophia this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction (especially due to hair if she is long haired). You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Sophia and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen in the next hour or two. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her gums are a white color
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

That is a concern, and is a sign of shock or pain, or potentially even an anemia. The combination of the white gums and the vomiting would certainly be enough to warrant a trip to the ER vet. I definitely think it is better to play it safe and get your girl checked now if you can.

Let me know if I can help further.

Dr E