Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a cat whom had a long dried up skinny worm- probable

Customer Question

I have a cat whom had a long dried up skinny worm- probable tapeworm come out its rear and was attaching itself onto my cats stomach. The worm seems to be burrowing Into her stomach. About a half inch wide.
I applied droncit - a dewormer.
I have appled rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide to dry it out- which seems to have worked. Not the hole is appearing in the abdomen. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Now the hole seems to be reappearing. About a half inch wide
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Indoor in good health otherwise.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here's a visual
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question. First I need to find out some additional information from you.

First of all, is this a male of female cat?

How old is the cat?

When and how did you obtain it?

Has this cat had any abdominal surgery (like a spay) since you obtained it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The information is?

It would be most helpful if you could provide me some information by answering the questions I have asked.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Female adapted maybe 10-12 years old. Spayed long ago. Had her for many years.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I did not See questions.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible to have a tapeworm emerge and crawl to bare stomach and enter?

The reason that I ask that in particular is because the wound appears to be on the abdominal midline exactly where the spay incision would have been. So I wondered if there could be an infection at that old surgery site.

I am not aware of the existence of any sort of tapeworm or other worm that would crawl out of the rectum and then burrow into the skin of the cat. I can imagine it in some Hollywood horror flick, though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe that is what has happened.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Long flat and skinny. The remaining part seems to have attached and burrow

So I really have no idea what it was that you saw coming out of your cat.

I think this cat has an infected would that needs to be evaluated and possibly treated with antibiotics. If you are concerned about tapeworms and other parasites those are easily treated by your veterinarian, but I don'tsee how worms could have bearing on this wound. It looks like a recent incision left open or that maybe dehiesced.

Is this an in/out cat or strictly indoors?

Hmmm. Well that would be a new one on me and I have been in practice for 34 years, 25 of those exclusively in cats. I wil go ahead and opt out and let another veterinarian see if they can help you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Strictly indoor.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No recent surgeries.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fixed over 10 years ago..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry your cat has this trouble.

Paint raw honey on the worm/sore/wound. Then cover it with a bandage. Repeat every 6 hours. It will smother the worm an heal the wound.

It is a remarkable healing agent:

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards