Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a cat with a URI and little money to take him to a

Customer Question

I have a cat with a URI and little money to take him to a vet. Can I give him the duramycin they use for livestock?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: Runny nose and eyes, diarrhea. He's had it for a while and he's losing weight.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ringo, and I'm not sure how old. 3-5 years. My friend passed and I took him. He was her cat.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ringo,?
Customer: That's about it. He's a tad lethargic but very loving and purrs up a storm.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Yes, and oxytetracycline is a good choice of antibiotic when URI is present in cats. The problem I see is your being able to dose the Duramycin accurately. A cat should receive 10 mg/lb every 8-12 hours orally. Duramycin comes in various strengths. If you can tell me how many milligrams/mL of oxytetracycline is in your product and tell me how much Ringo weighs, I can give you a dose in mL.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I saw it at Farm & Fleet, and all they had was the injectable kind for swine and cows. Can they take that orally? He weighs about 6 pounds.

Some injectables can also be given orally. You'll need to check the label of the particular product you saw and see which routes of administration are approved. You may have to purchase a soluble powder and then dissolve it in water but those are very difficult to dose down to a cat's size.