Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

My 19 year old cat has recently developed matted and loosing

Customer Question

My 19 year old cat has recently developed matted and loosing hair. It does not seem to be causing her discomfort but more matting continues to appear and hair loss seems to be increasing also.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr.KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just one moment...

Matting and hair loss can be a sign of several different things in older kitties like Lily. The most common problem is fleas...you may see something like pepper on her skin which is flea excrement. If she is grooming excessively, itchy, and if her hair feels stubbly, then fleas are very likely. If the hair is falling out in patches, or if she is pulling her hair out, I would be suspicious that she may be painful, as older kitties can get sore from arthritis. Either way, you may want to have her thoroughly examined by your vet to ensure nothing more serious is going on.