Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My older cat, Little Girl is approximately 20 years of age.

Customer Question

My older cat, Little Girl is approximately 20 years of age. She has great teeth, is at a good weight and is my only companion. She has a brown shade like in her right eye; half way up. I am very worried about her health. We have been trying to free up her bowls with vet stuff on her nose, Omega III's with much struggling. I am so afraid I may have injured her eye in trying to hold her to administer medicine into her mouth or on her nose.
I finally was told by someone; not a vet; to give her a little Mirlax in her wet food. It worked for her having regular bowl movements besides hard little tiny ones in her litter box.
She is not in pain, is eating well, but it looks very dark. What can I do for her eye which is normally beautiful bluish green like a Simiese?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Little Girl. A change in the iris color isn't something that I'd feel is due to anything topically getting into that eye. When things accidentally get into the eye (the Omega III's), they should at most cause physical irritation to the eye that would initially be displayed as an eye being held shut, red, irritated, discharge, etc.. If there was never any signs of any discomfort, then that supplement wouldn't be expected to be the cause of this. I would take comfort in knowing that you didn't do this. The Miralax is actually something that a lot of vets use to help with constipation / bowel issues. For the most part, it is a pretty benign way to help soften stools. It is good that she is eating well at this time and doesn't seem in pain. As far as the eye, a change in color has me suspicious of uveitis. This is inflammation inside the eye. This may or may not be something of more concern. What would be best is to have her seen by your vet to have them closely inspect that area. They can then determine if further testing or treatment is needed.