PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat has an uri...he is starting to lose weight and will

Customer Question

my cat has an uri...he is starting to lose weight and will not eat but is still drinking water...i got some real smelly catfood and he is eating very little. but he is not up and going...what can i give him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you trying canned for kibble?
2) How long has he had the URI?
3) Is he on any medication?
4) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
5) What brand and food type does he normally eat?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Canned food...I noticed about 2 weeks ago hewas sneezing slot and not eating,. No medicine. He is not vomiting or diarrhea..friskers is what he was eating. He is 11 yrs old. I got him from the pound in April of this yr. He is a Manx. Now he is wheezing and eyes are pouring snot

The first thing that needs to be addressed is the underlying illness. Cats with a URI commonly stop eating and drinking. The problem with this is that their liver can suffer as early as 3 days and lead to liver failure through hepatic lipidosis. You can learn more here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217

I would recommend an evaluation by a veterinarian and medication to be prescribed. This will help to stop the URI symptoms and get his appetite back on track. If he's been longer than 3 days without food, blood work would be wise to check his organ values.

Failing this, try multiple different varieties of canned food. Try it warmed up, room temp and cool. Also try baby food that is pureed in flavors like chicken and turkey. You can also dry additives like chicken broth to any kibble that he likes and also using a sprinkling of parmesan cheese or bonito flakes (commonly sold in asian markets).

Let me know if I can help further.

Checking in. How is your companion doing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had to put him asleep....he was very sick-

I'm so sorry to hear this. My greatest condolences on your loss.