Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Our cat was vaccinated when a kitten and neutered. Her has

Customer Question

Our cat was vaccinated when a kitten and neutered. Her has been a completely indoor cat since then. He has not has any problems. My son needs to take him to Toronto,Canada and they require a current rabies vaccination to get into the country. I feel the side effects are too awful to consider for a 12 year old cat who has always been indoors and will continue as such in Canada with my son. He is is emotional support, so he needs to go there, but how can we get him there without endangering his health with an uneccessary rabies shot????
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Otherwise, there is no exception to this rule.
But, I have a suggestion:

Call around to local vets. Request the rabies vaccine be the Merial vaccine called "PureVax".

It appears to be far safer, fewer reactions, and it is not associated with inducing tumors at the injection site as has been documented with previous rabies and feline leukemia vaccines. It doesn't last as long, but will help to alleviate some of your worries.

It is called Merial Rabies "PureVax"

Hope that information helps