Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I work as a veterinary assistant and I took in a 12 week old

Customer Question

I work as a veterinary assistant and I took in a 12 week old kitten whose back legs are very wobbly and cause him to fall over. My doctor said he didn't have any broken bones and said his issue could be a nutritional thing. I would like a second opinion. His front legs are very strong and in synch. He was very malnourished; you could feel/see every bone in his body. He doesn't seem to have any head tremors. He's eating/drinking very well(he's gained almost 2 pounds) and he is using the bathroom regularly(although I have to help balance him). He tries to jump and he's very active. I'm not sure what the problem could be. He has been itching his ear a lot so maybe an ear infection? I just placed revolution on him yesterday and I have him a cap star the very first day I brought him home. Do you have any advice and how long will it take for him to gain full muscle movement of his back legs?
His name is Odin.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Was he like this when you first took him in?
2) Do you have a video showing what he's doing?
3) Has any blood work been run on this kitten?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We did run blood tests, everything was normal. We did a combo test and that even came back negative. He is a fantastically healthy kitten, his back legs just have a hard time keeping him up. He can use them though and when he climbs onto the couch, he pushes up with them. When I first took him in, he was very skinny and weak, covered in fleas and dirt. He could barely lift his head. I do have a video but it won't let me upload it?

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.