Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

He's 20 years old and has cancer but just recently started

Customer Question

He's 20 years old and has cancer but just recently started having lots of hair loss.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?
Customer: Any ideas on what I can do about the hair loss. At his age and with him having cancer I obviously don't want to put him through a bunch of things
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about the cancer. Well, at this age, a common cause for hair loss would be hyperthyroidism (elevated thyroid hormone). However, there is a condition called paraneoplastic alopecia, which is common, that could be the explanation as well. That is when the cancer, itself, is the explanation for the hair loss. If so, than there really would not be options at this time to curb the hair loss.

Here is more information:

Hope that information. If I have not fully answered your question, please reply. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate when you submit a feedback rating.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.
Hi Diana,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I hope everything is going okay?

May I be of any further assistance?