Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My kitten 5 month he didnt have dewormer before. I visited

Customer Question

Hi, my kitten 5 month he didnt have dewormer before. I visited vet clinic in one of the pet stores and was recomended to use Strongid T every 2 weeks. Just want to verify how often have to give him Strongid T
Kitten lives in the house doesnt go outside
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are curious about the proper recommendations for worming a kitten.

Almost all kittens are born with worms passed from their mother or picked up shortly after birth from their mom.

We usually recommend worming kittens, starting at 6 weeks, every 2 weeks until they are 4 months pf age and then monthly until 6 months of age. Because many worms encyst in the body even cats that never go outside ideally would be wormed once or twice a year after that.

Strongid contains pyrantel which is a broad spectrum wormer that treats hookworms and roundworms, two very common worms in cats.

Strongid does not treat all parasites however so I still recommend having your veterinarian check a fresh stool sample for parasites monthly in young kittens less than 6 months and then every 6 months in adult cats.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about worming.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitten. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****