Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I need to give my severely anemic cat a vitamin complex. I

Customer Question

i need to give my severely anemic cat a vitamin b complex. I have Cyanocobalamin (B12) 100 mcg. On thursday i gave 0.1 ml with fluids. I give this once a week, but i do not believe it is enough. What is the recommended dosage for cats in ml. I've seen 0.25 to 0.5 to 1.0 ml
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

Debi, cats such as Beemer are administered 250 micrograms subcutaneously once per week for 6 weeks and then every 1-2 months based on cobalamin levels. I need to know the concentration of your product in micrograms/mL, please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The concentration is 100 mcg

100 mcg/mL? If so, Beemer would receive 2.5 mL once per week for 6 weeks and then every 1-2 months based on cobalamin levels. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2.5 ml? I am currently giving him 0.1 ml which i thought was very low, but 2.5 ml seems high. Please confirm.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vet prescribed 0.1 and is out until Monday. I've had the techs mess up before on instructions so I wanted to make sure it wasn't 1 ml

If you have a human preparation, 100 micrograms per mL is a common concentration. There are 250 micrograms in 2.5 mL in that concentration which would be Beemer's dose. Human preparations also come in 1000 micrograms/mL. Be sure that you have the 100 microgram/mL.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is called Vetone Vitamin B complex hp with Cyanocobalamin (B12) 100 mcg.

Give me a minute to check that out, please.

Yes, that product contains 100 micrograms of B12 per mL. It's designed for cattle, swine, and sheep. Check your label. It would be unusual to give this to a cat because if you gave the correct dose of B12, you would be overdosing the other vitamins in that product.