Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an older cat 16 years. Has been pretty certain

Customer Question

I have an older cat 16 years. Has been pretty certain diagnosed with flip.. Is on steroid medication. Would giving him maybe three times a week a Lasix tablet help?
Thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is it FIP that you believe was the diagnosis?

2) What steps were taken for this diagnosis?

3) When was the last time that blood work was run? Do you have a copy to share?
4) Has any cardiac workup been performed? Ultrasound?
5) What medication is Gomer on at this time, if any?
6) For what reason were you hoping to use the lasix?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Had him brought to vet on Thursday...full blood panel done. All came back good.. Slight irregular heartbeat.. Vet tapped belly with needle and withdrew fluid checked under microscope almost very certain that is the diagnosis prescribed prednisolone 1 ml 2x day for 7 days then 1 ml daily indefinitely... No parasites good eating drinking etc

My concern here is that FIP is quite rare in this senior of a cat, but it can happen. The blood work run would have ruled out liver disease, which was my next concern. However, it doesn't sound like anything has been done to check the heart (which I would expect to cause ascites, especially if this is right-sided heart failure). Steroids are avoided, where possible, with heart disease. The irregular heart rate and fluid in the abdomen are throwing up red flags for me. Personally? I'd get the heart checked out via ultrasound.

That said, I wouldn't risk it with the lasix. If this is truly FIP, you're likely only going to make your companion feel worse (and with FIP we should keep them as stable as possible). Dehydration and shock are both a risk for pets receiving lasix they don't need. It may well put your companion at a point of not wanting to eat or drink, which would then require you to hospitalize them because the lasix would continue to further dehydrate Gomer. Additionally, a pet in shock will need to be hospitalized, as well. Something else to know is that steroids are often contraindicated for heart disease and won't 'fix' FIP if that's what is going on here.

Let me know if I can help further. If you need help finding a cardiologist, let me know what state you live in and I'll get you a list together.

Checking in. How is Gomer doing?