Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat that I bought from the shelter came tome spaded ,when

Customer Question

my cat that I bought from the shelter came tome spaded ,when they did her spade they also did a aborted because she was pregnant. when I adopted her she had a little pouch . As time went on a few months later her adonmen/stomach looked as though she was about to delivery.the vet took exray and saw nothing.whats wrong with my cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Hi Marchesa,

Bless you for saving a shelter kitty!

How long ago was the spay surgery?

Is she eating and eliminating normally?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she was with no problem ,but now has a cold.l
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she was spayed,4/3/2016 now that she has it seem like a cold because she sneezing . she not eating as much.
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Dear Marchasa,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I think you are seeing a promordial pouch which is normal for a female kitty.

Read more here:
http://pets.thenest.com/primordial-pouch-cats-11178.html

As far as her "cold" that is viral.

You can give her lysine @ 250 mg a day or these:
http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Optixcare_L_Lysine_Soft_Chews_60_Chews/Cat_Treats_and_Grass

She may be having trouble smelling food so feed odorous things like tuna, canned or baby food. Warm it to bring out the aroma.

She can also have an antihistamine.

add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
use only the Benadryl will take care of the sneezing. for how before I stop?
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

You can give benedryl every 12 hours.If she weighs at least 10 ls give her half of a 25 mg pill, a third if she is under 10 lbs.

Better not to use liquids because they can make cats drool