Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

Tito is 6, has always been perfectly healthy. Now, 2 weeks

Customer Question

Tito is 6, has always been perfectly healthy. Now, 2 weeks of a slight dragging of one foot has turned into kind of lurching and flopping down on his side. X-rays don't show anything, blood work seems find. No real clues. Had constipation but stool softeners have worked well. Just slowly getting less well. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did Tito have a fall?
Customer: Not that we know of. He's an indoor cat, never goes out.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tito?
Customer: Only likes dry food, and is hard to give meds, but otherwise a happy cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that these signs that sweet Tito is showing are neurologic in nature. This means that something is blocking the nerve supply to this area of his spinal cord which is most likely an unstable disc material in between his vertebrae. Unless the disc ruptures into the spinal cord, xrays will not show anything. This is because inflammation has blocked off the nerve supply but the disc is still intact and not into the spinal cord. This is treated with strong anti inflammatory medications such as steroids to stop this process so Tito can regain the nerve supply. Talk to your vet if these medications were not given. Also, it is important, with this condition, that Tito does not move much. Keep him confined so this area can heal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****