Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Mommy cat of four has been sneezing a lot and has runny nose

Customer Question

Mommy cat of four has been sneezing a lot and has runny nose and eyes. Her four kittens are just 8 days old. What should I do? I want to get mom better and am worried about her kittens getting sick
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also have two other cats, one is 11 months old and the other is 5 months old. I have them separated as of now but I'm afraid they may have already gotten sick too. They were together just this morning before I realized mommy cat was sick.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I were to give her 30 ppm colloidal silver, how much should I give her and how often?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Mommy cat is likely to be suffering from the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) although I also have to consider calicivirus if her vaccines aren't up to date. Bacterial respiratory infections such as with Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma may be present as well. All of the kittens and your other cats have already been exposed to whichever infectious agent is present. Mommy cat's vet is likely to prescribe an antibiotic such as amoxicillin/clavulanate which is safe for the kittens when they nurse. An ophthalmic ointment such the the oxytetracycline/polymyxin-B-containing Terramycin ophthalmic ointment should be considered for Mommy cat's eyes.

Colloidal silver is not recommended when addressing these infections. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.