Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I adopted a one year old male cat last year. He spent is

Customer Question

I adopted a one year old male cat last year. He spent is kitten hood in a cage. He has come a long way as far as being more social, but he is afraid of everything. I can't even get near him to pet him. He is the sweetest most gentle cat I every saw. Someone told me to just ignore him and he will start being more social with me. I have never forced the issue of trying to hold him. One day he actually let me pet him when he was sleeping. I feel so bad. Do you think he will eventually learn to trust me?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Jake
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?
Customer: No he had a clean bill of health when I adopted him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I have to say that you are a star for helping poor wee Jake. If he had such a rough kitten hood, then trust and general interactions with people will be scary for him (especially since poor socialization in the first 11 weeks of life tends to leave them scared of anything they didn’t experience in that impressionable period).

In regards ***** ***** question, I am confident that he will warm to you as he slowly learns to trust. He may never allow you to pick him up but I can speak from experience that these kitties with terrible starts do usually overcome their fears over the years and take that risk of trusting their patient owner. And I dare say that I suspect in the years to come not only will you two develop a special relationship but that he will become very attached to you. So, it will take time since cats are slow to learn that things are not as scary as they assume they are but I do feel that in time he will breech that gap with you.

Finally, just to help you in doing so, I’d note that it can help to reinforce positive interactions (ie petting, coming to you, etc) with treats. That way he can associate these interactions with a good experience and it can help him adjust a bit quicker. As well, there are treats on the market (ie Composure) that have de-stressing supplements in them that can help reduce feline anxiety and help get him even more relaxed about developing that pet bond with you.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.