Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Over the last few days I have noticed my cats stool becoming

Customer Question

Over the last few days I have noticed my cats stool becoming thinner, even the stool she had over the course of the night last night into this morning and now this morning when she gets in the litter box and acts like she is going, just this translucent liquid in drops comes out and seems to dribble out even when she isn't trying. The fur on her backside is wet with this this. When soaking this up with a white tissue it is a translucent brownish color. I just moved to the area where I am living and had made an appointment for the vet to see her as a new patient in a week but they do not take new cats on an emergency basis and most of the ones in the area do not. The person at the vet office I spoke to said to take all her food and water away for 12 hours and then after the 12 hours, give her small bits of boiled chicken and rice over the next few days as the rice should soak up anything in her belly that is upsetting it and if she isn't better in a few days, to have her seen somewhere. I am scared and unsure what to do. Does this seem reasonable?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: She is a Siamese, elderly, age around 18.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your lass's signs, I am quite concerned about her. This doesn't sound like a gut upset as the receptionist has suggested with her treatment. Instead, I'd be concerned about a partial blockage or compression of the gut. This can cause the thinning of stool and the mucus/anal gland discharge being passed as she struggles to get feces through. At her age, this could be related to something non-edible she may have eaten but more often we see this with constipation (where hard feces acts as the partial blocking item) as well as with thickening of the gut from GI lymphoma or compression from outside the gut by enlarged organs, fluid or tumors.

Ideally we would want to have her seen urgently. Vets have a duty of care to see suffering animals, so they should make an exception for her though you may have to sit/wait at the practice for a few hours to be seen. Otherwise, ER vets see any animal on a need to be seen basis. If she is seen, we'd want them to palpate her gut +/- ultrasound or xray. That way we can identify which issue is present and address this for her.

Finally, just in regards ***** ***** to help her manage and pass stool until she is seen, you can choose to offer the light diet but do add a dose of OTC cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, Lactulose, etc) to her food to help any feces still in the GI to pass. That way we can at least try to keep her comfortable until you can find a vet to see her. And just to help you do so, you can check @ or via for ER vets.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )