Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Since my daughter left to go to Melbourne she wont come in

Customer Question

since my daughter left to go to Melbourne she wont come in .The cat is 16.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: She just stays outside in all weathers and I have to catch her to feed her. She just cries to go back outside as soon as she has eaten
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Pushkin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pushkin?
Customer: Her behaviour changed dramatically when my daughter left 7 weeks ago, She is not being fed anywhere else,she stays close to the house but wont come in.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This is not too uncommon when a cat is stressed. It can take a while for them to get used to a change like that. You really should try to get her to come into the house, though, and keep her inside. Ideally, I would have a vet see her and prescribe some anti-anxiety meds. I like to use Elavil or Prozac or Trazodone in these guys. It helps to de-stress them and get them used to this change.

The other thing you could look into, is Feliway plug in diffusers. These secrete a pheromone to help de-stress cats and make things more normal. They can be purchased online through many sources.

I would also try a canned diet and something tasty. This may stimulate her senses and entice her to come inside.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?