Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Why does my cat have hard pimples on her back and around her

Customer Question

why does my cat have hard pimples on her back and around her neck?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, pimples on the skin in cats is a sign of bacterial infection. To see this around the back and neck suggests that Cassy has been scratching the area and thus allowed skin bacteria to infection the skin. Often we will see these signs when cats have underlying flea allergy dermatitis. And since it only takes a single bite from a flea (as they are allergic to the saliva and not the flea itself), we often see cats with these signs this time of year.

Therefore, to counter this, we often need to keep them up to date on monthly good quality flea spot on products. As well, to counter any itching, we can use an OTC antihistamine like Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. As well, if the itching is severe then their vets can often use a long acting steroid injection to settle this.

Finally, since there are pimples, we do want to address these as well. If there are a few, then you can salt water bathe these +/- apply an OTC antibiotic cream to clear them. If there are many, then systemic/oral antibiotics from your vet are ideal to treat the infection from the inside out and get it settled for Cassy.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )