Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has a small growth. Do ypu think this is a sebaceous

Customer Question

Hi! My cat has a small growth. Do ypu think this is a sebaceous cyst?
At some point a tiny bit of a yellow substance came out, it wasn't pus. I wish I could attach a picture.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I would very much like to see a pic. You can upload a pic(s) by use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No paperclip is present and I do not use drop box......I'm actually on my phone
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
oh wait! pictures did attach on last message!!

Thank you! Give me a minute to look at them.

This is a benign-appearing tumor - a sebaceous gland tumor or fibroma is likely, Mary. Nodular sebaceous hyperplasia accounts for about 2/3 of all feline sebaceous gland tumors. This would be very easy to excise by "shave biopsy" and not expected to return. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great! That's what I was hoping.
I have the desire to pop it, but I'm guessing it's best to leave alone? Or have the vet remove?
Thanks!!

No, no! These don't pop...they're solid tissue! You can "watchful wait" or have the vet shave it away. It's not a dangerous growth.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great! That's what I was hoping.
Thanks

It looks like the post timestamped 6:00PM (my time) was reposted. I responded: "No, no! These don't pop...they're solid tissue! You can "watchful wait or have the vet shave it away. It's not a dangerous growth." You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.