Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Just read your write up about cat injury of hind leg my cat

Customer Question

just read your write up about cat injury of hind leg my cat cant put any weight on his back leg but appears only lethargic and not very hungry. would he be in a lot of pain and are there any over the counter pain killers I can get for him in a pet shop
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If you are able to get him seen and x-ray the leg, that would be ideal. If there is a fracture or dislocation, that won't heal with rest and pain meds. If he is able to bear weight on the leg, even though he's limping, then that rules out a fracture. I just worry when we hear that they won't bear any weight.

If you want to try an over the counter pain med to see if he starts using it, you can use Aspirin. In a typical cat, we give 1/2 of an 81 mg baby aspirin every 2-3 days, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thank you if it is a fracture how long will it be before he is bearing all his weight on It and getting about. I presume he will not want to go out but do I let him if he hobbles to the door, and should I be concerned if he eats very little.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

If it's fractured, he'll need the fracture stabilized before he'll be able to bear weight. That is done either with surgery, a cast or a splint.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thank you I will see how he goes in the next two days and let you know Regards trisha
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Sounds like a plan. You're very welcome.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hi Patricia Nolan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cesar. How is everything going?