Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat had surgery for removal of a mammary tumor. I kept

Customer Question

My cat had surgery for removal of a mammary tumor. I kept her "coned" until her incision healed but removed it after. She licked her belly and inner rear thighs to the point of redness. Her doctor says she removed a layer of skin and her inflammation is so great only a steroid will calm it. As her cancer is advanced and nothing Western Medicine has will help I started a homeopathic remedy....it can't harm and who says it won't help? Yes, I understand Western medicine doesn't believe but thye have nothing to offer so why shouldn't I try?
The problem is a steroid will block any effect homeopathy will have so I am looking for other options. Is there anything else available for anti inflammation in cats?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

In my opinion, there are many things out there that may help and shouldn't hurt. It's not going to be a huge issue to try it. I would have no issue using it with steroids or other anti-inflammatory meds.

If you want to use something different, I would use an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) like Onsior or Metacam. Onsior is safer and has been used long term in many cats without issues.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.