Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

We have a 15 year old female red tabby who is experiencing

Customer Question

We have a 15 year old female red tabby who is experiencing painful stools. We were able to give her Laxaire for many years and she loved it. It is no longer available. She prefers the malt flavor, but others we have tried, she has shunned. She drops her stool around the house in several places for 1 bowel movement and watching her it is clear she is has pain. She even screeches at times. Can you recommend an acceptable substitute. We have even been added a couple of Tbsp of water to her canned food.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is DRB....... and I would be happy to help you with this..........this is a very common problem in older kitties.......and there are many things you can do to help this. So, adding water like you are doing is a great idea and helps alot. The other thing I want you to do is to purchase some miralax from the human pharmacy ( you need the powder) and mix in 1/4 teaspoon twice daily with her canned food and water. This will make going to the bathroom much easier for her. You can start first with 1/8 teaspoon twice daily and then gradually increase after a few days if you need to. This will help and you should not have to do anything else. And this is also very safe for long term use. I hope this helps you and let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if I can offer additional assistance. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.
Hi Bitsy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kit. How is everything going?
Dr B
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if I can help you further......Sincerely, DRB