Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 10 year old cat had a seizure lasting less than 30

Customer Question

My 10 year old cat had a seizure lasting less than 30 seconds. I got him to a pet ER where they kept him overnight. While there he had another small seizure and was given a shot of phenobarbital. This happened 58 hours ago. When I brought him home (about 30 hours ago), he has been wobbly on his feet and is wlaking like he is drunk. Is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Simon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simon?
Customer: Only that he had no more seizures, all blood work and urine tests came back normal and vet seemed to think he was exposed to a toxin
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It's not uncommon for dogs or cats to be wobbly and "drunk" after starting Phenobarbital. If they started him on oral Phenobarb, it can go on like this for 2-4 weeks before the body is used to the medication.

If it was just a one time injection, then the signs usually resolve within 2-3 days. You should be getting toward the end if he was not continued on oral Phenobarb at home.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome.