Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

We're moving and have been unable to trap a yard cat we've

Customer Question

We're moving and have been unable to trap a yard cat we've been feeding since a kitten. we have a place to move her too but she's too skittish to let us close and won't go in our trap because the last time she did she went to the vet to be spayed. Is there a sedative that might work fast enough that would allow us to catch her? I'm ready to leave her but my son is really upset and wants to keep trying.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm glad that you're trying to bring Checkers with you to your new location. Unfortunately, there really isn't a good oral sedative that would work in a manner that you're hoping for. Are you moving so far away from your current location that you can't have her brought to you later? Can you have the neighbors continue to feed her in the trap after you possibly leave and alert you when she's caught?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure. I know Benadryl is a sedative but it doesn't appear to be fast acting. How quickly does it work? It's not something I would like to use but it may be that or leave her behind.

Honestly, the sedative effects of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) are very, very minimal and it won't allow you to really get close to grab her. Can you talk to the neighbors to see if they may be able to continue to trap her? You can explain to them that you'd like to take her with so they don't have to worry about her long term. That may be a good way to help them to help you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never mind I think I get the point. We just need to hope the trap works.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There's no need to call.

Sorry about the call prompt. That is automatic by the site. Persistence with the trap is honestly the best thing to do. Maybe use some very smelly good food like tuna in it!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Checkers. How is everything going?