Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

Cat swalowed an almond and had to have surgery of the small

Customer Question

cat swalowed an almond and had to have surgery of the small intestine to remove,after surgery the cat developed fluid around lung and heart. Was this caused by surgery
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. You've described a thoracic effusion - a collection of fluid in the thoracic cavity. I don't know of any mechanism for such a surgery to cause an effusion unless a pre-existing heart condition (cardiomyopathy/heart muscle disease) existed and worsened due to the stress of anesthesia and hypotension pushing your cat into congestive heart failure as evidenced by that effusion. Cardiomyopathy can be confirmed with an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart). Examination of the physical qualities and cellularity of the effusion can be very helpful in clarifying the etiology of the effusion. We consider congestive heart failure, inflammatory effusions due to infection or neoplasia (cancer), and effusions of chyle and blood.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is anyone here

I'm here. Did you see my response which should be above your "Is anyone here"?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?