Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a cat 16 years old... Experiencing fluid retention in

Customer Question

I have a cat 16 years old... Experiencing fluid retention in abdomen..
Eats well good vision and hearing.. Gets around really well for his age...
Labored breathing also
Not sure how well he would tolerate ride to see vet...
Any suggestions? What type of medications would help...
Not ready to euthanize!!
He has too much of quality life left..
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About two weeks.. No medications

Okay thanks for the additional information, Has the fluid retention seemed to be getting worse over these 2 week? A couple of things I would be concerned about would be heart disease, or liver disease. As far as medications that would help it would depend on what is causing the fluid retention. Do you think he would stress too much if you take him to the veterinarian? If that is the case then one option would be to look for a mobile veterinarian that could come to your house and do an exam on him and possible determine what is going on and how to best treat him