Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an 18 year old housecat whose tail started drooping,

Customer Question

hi, I have an 18 year old housecat whose tail started drooping, but i dont believe she has suffered any trauma to it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: when we got her as a kitten we never came up with a name cause it was our first car
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about cause?
Customer: cat* so we call her the cat haha
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did this begin?
2) Have any diagnostics been performed to determine the cause?
3) Any changes in her habits? Still eating and drinking well? Still able to use the bathroom without problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hi, this began between a few days and a week ago, i have not taken her to the vet or anything, and so far it seems as though no eating or bathroom habits have changed. she was also limping a little bit seemingly for no reason last week, maybe there is arthritis?

It's very likely. As cats age, as with any human or animal that ages, we can see changes in the spine, in the joints, etc. My concern here would be spondylitis, which is fairly common in senior cats and we can see difficulty walking, holding the tail in a different position, sitting differently, etc. It's often recommended along with x-rays to do blood work and be certain that the organs are functioning well before starting a regimen to treat such an affliction. At home, you can start her on feline glucosamine available here: https://www.chewy.com/cat/dp/101450?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Nutramax&gclid=CNyZycaPyc4CFRSPfgodNYoPsg to see if this helps. Otherwise, I would move forward with at least x-rays

Checking in. How is your companion doing, JACustomer?