PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Poo with blood, just started tonight, mao mao and she is

Customer Question

Green poo with blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: just started tonight
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: mao mao and she is just over 1 years old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mao Mao
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please call +1(###) ###-####if possible
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. I am unable to offer a phone call at this time, but I'll be happy to assist over the computer.

Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did the stool become green? When did blood develop?
2) When was Mao Mao's last veterinary visit?
3) When was the last fecal exam performed?
4) Any dietary change?
5) Is she inside only or indoor/outdoor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Today, first time.
Visit was one month ago all clear
Fecal exam same visit
No diet change other then her eating the new kitties food.
Mao Mao is a blue Russian, new kitten Is a Scottish fold
Both inside only
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Both Mao Mao and our new kitten are up on shots and vet visits.

It sounds like this very well could be linked to eating the new kitten's food. Even foods within the same brand but with different formulations can cause this type of GI response in cats. You may see a vast improvement by just ensuring that Mao Mao eats her own food instead of the kitten food, as well. Another option is to add some canned pumpkin to her food for the next day or so to help firm the diarrhea and stop the appearance of blood. The major importance here is to be sure that Mao Mao eats her food specifically and receives some added fiber to improve the quality of her stool. It also won't hurt if the new kitten consumes pumpkin with her food.

If the diarrhea worsens, Mao Mao has a change in demeanor or appetite, the blood worsens, etc. she will need to be seen and placed on antibiotics by your vet to help clear both the blood and the diarrhea.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy