Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He all of a sudden is having diarrhea outside his box, I

Customer Question

He all of a sudden is having diarrhea outside his box
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: I told u
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Not sure this just started last night.....maybe 24 hours
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: I put him outside because I didn't want him to go in the night
JA: Is the cat eating normally?
Customer: I think so. Yes. He always has crunchy food in bowel and gets one fancy feast a day.
JA: OK. No appetite problems. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Azzy. 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Azzy?
Customer: Not really. I just took him to vet one month ago for shots and flea meficine
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone, I will be glad to call you back and talk things over at length. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Azzy is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Diarrhoea happens now and again in the cat and most cases are not serious in my experience, perhaps a minor tummy bug or something like that. Assuming Azzy is still otherwise fairly bright and not showing any other symptoms then you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else or consider getting a vet involved. This is logical and often works, the thinking here is to give his intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it gradually back to function. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

2. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance.You do not need to give much, perhaps two teaspoons twice a day ...

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Azzy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you. He looked to be in pain tonight before going in the corner on the carpet. He was moaning. ��

Where there is a simple gastroenteritis then pain such as you describe is unusual, perhaps this was just one episode related to straining, but if it continues you may be best to have your vet check Azzu over ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Azzy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his diarrhoea ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?