Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Do cats with kidney disease need higher or lower amounts of

Customer Question

Do cats with kidney disease need higher or lower amounts of potassium?i
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear about Storm's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Cats with kidney disease can often suffer from low blood potassium, if this occurs then you would want to supplement your cat's diet as part of the measures to keep her as stable as possible. You can do this by using one of the specialist prescription diets for cats with chronic kidney problems such as Hill's K/D. Alternatively you can use a supplement such as Tumil K, but your vet will advise.

2. Where a cat has marked potassium deficiency this may well contribute to your cat's general lethargy and weakness.

3. Of course a quick blood test will reveal exactly what your cat's potassium blood levels are.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Storm is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning blood potassium levels ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.