Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat hat bad flies. We seem to have gotten those taken

Customer Question

My cat hat bad flies. We seem to have gotten those taken care of but now he has sores and stuff on his skin and has licked. Scratched and chewed him self raw in places. Can you help us
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. Even if all fleas are removed, some pets will have developed an allergy to the saliva of the flea and become pruritic (itchy) to the point that they excoriate their skin leaving the "sores and stuff" you're seeing. These cats respond remarkably well to a prescription glucocorticosteroid such as injectable methylprednisolone or oral prednisolone. There isn't much over the counter that's reliably effective for these allergic cats but if he can't see his vet, you can see how the over the counter chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton, e.g.) dosed at 2 mg daily affects him.

Be sure that you've also treated his environment with an area treatment spray such as the over the counter Siphotrol which contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) which doesn't allow any eggs or larvae to develop into adult fleas thus breaking up the life cycle of the flea. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This was very helpful and thank you. I will try this. Thanks again

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?