Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

He's in pain when he tries to walk and when touched at the

Customer Question

He's in pain when he tries to walk and when touched at the rear of his back.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: no, not that we know of. He does sleep on beds in the house. Was crouched at the back door when I got home. He's 17 years old and has been healthy.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?
Customer: No he's been completely healthy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Blacky is eating fine, sitting up to eat, but not walking.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is he able to walk and just painful or completely unable to walk? Legs dragging?
2) Has he had any care for this concern? Any x-rays?
3) When did this begin?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He just walked down the hall, very slowly and crying every once in a while. Legs not dragging.This is a brand new issue this evening. Came home from work and discovered. He was fie when my wife left for work at noon .
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He just willingly ate a bit of food.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He seems OK until he goes to walk or is touched at the rear of his back.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?

At 17 years of age, it's very possible that he's dealing with some arthritis issues. This is common in cats his age. I would recommend an exam and x-rays of his spine and hips to determine if there are changes which might be causing him pain. Typically with this, we see tenderness and pain when trying to walk and being touched. Some cats will have delayed placement of their legs when they walk, a change in their gait, difficulty sitting down squarely (may sit off to one side), etc. Often pain medication is indicated to help alleviate the discomfort that's present.

I apologize for the delay. I was posting but the messages weren't sending. Sometimes we have errors on our end of the computer.

I'll be standing by if you have other questions I can answer regarding his care.