Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat when ever it try,s to walk, it walks like it has lost

Customer Question

My cat when ever it try,s to walk, it walks like it has lost his balance. He was fine last night when I went to bed and this morning he can,t walk without falling. It,s as if he is drunk and my other cat is doing the same thing. Can you tell me what is wrong with them, other than that they act fine.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Am I correct in understanding that 2 cats in the same household are acting oddly?

2) Can you attach video showing what they are doing?
3) Have they had any medications recently?
4) Any new chemicals in the house?
5) When was flea prevention last administered to them?
6) Any changes in their diet or environment in the last few days?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my 10 yr old cat started acting like that about a month ago. i took her to the vet, got two shots seemed to help her one shot was depo medrol 20 mg+dex sp and the other was Convenia 80 mg. that cost me 166.00 dollars and did not last long with in two days she was back to walking like she can,t keep her balance. But it only affects her hind parts, other than that she seems fine, eats good and seems normal but just can,t walk hardly. no new chemicals in the house, now my older cat is acting the same. there both inside cats have not treated them for any fleas as they don,t have any. There food is still the same, they still eat and drink as normal but are having a very hard time trying to walk.

Can you attach a video showing this?

My concern here since they're both older cats would be that you may be dealing with some arthritis issues in both of them. This can happen with older cats and you saw a short-lived improvement from steroid usage.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?