Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

I have a 4-5 month old cat that I rescued from outside and 4

Customer Question

Hi I have a 4-5 month old cat that I rescued from outside and 4 days ago I took him to vet to get fixed, shots, treated for fleas and lab work to make sure he is healthy. Since bringing him home on Thursday night he's been drooling. He eats great...uses the litter box fine. I took him back to vet Friday and they looked at his mouth said it looked good and think it may have been that it's possible he licked the flea medicine they put on him. But he still drools after 4 days after they treated him. Could the pain medication be doing it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Henry
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Henry?
Customer: He was front laser declawed and had his first set of shots
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Henry but glad that he appears to be doing well otherwise.

Can you tell me the pain medication that he's taking which?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tinic/Torbg 10mg
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the answer to my questions.

I suspected that this might be what was given but just wanted to double check. Drugs of this sort haven't been associated with drooling or hypersalivation in cats although I suppose an idiosyncratic reaction could be seen.

There are, however, more common reasons for a cat this age to excessively salivate which I've listed below. In no particular order:

1. Problems in the mouth such as an infected tooth, ulcers, abscesses, foreign body although these seem less likely since he was just examined.
2. Nausea for any reason. The drug you mention can cause diarrhea but nausea isn't one listed either. Again, this doesn't necessarily mean that it wouldn't cause this behavior for him.

3. Ingestion of any noxious substance that they might have groomed off of their bodies (such as flea/tick products) or anything that they might have licked. However, four days is a long time for him still to be drooling if this were the problem.

4. In very young cats, a liver shunt can cause this problem but usually there are other signs such as vomiting weight loss or failure to thrive or balance issues. It would take an ultrasound and additional diagnostics to determine if this is the cause.

I've included this to be complete but it's pretty rare.

5. Early upper respiratory infection or Calici virus. If he starts to sneeze or develop a discharge from his eyes and/or nose, then this is the likely explanation for his drooling.

6. Spontaneous. In some cats, we can’t find an explanation and they will spontaneously stop drooling and we won’t have had any idea why they started in the first place. I've seen cats drool for about a week and then just stop.

As to otc products which may be of help regardless of the underlying cause, Pepcid AC at a dose of ¼ of a 10 mg tablet twice a day may be given.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Henry. How are things going with him? Deb