Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

12 yr old, about 20 lbs (overweight). Suudenly 1 dat ago she

Customer Question

12 yr old, about 20 lbs (overweight). Suudenly 1 dat ago she seemed very lethargic, ate only a little when prodded. Too kher to the vet and she see,med fine. We had full blood work 8 months ago so the vet said just see how she does. The within a day she will not move on fer own, does not eat or drink. It is sunday and vet is not opne.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: sorry meant to correct typos...her name is Twinkles
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Twinkles?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Twinkles. Unfortunately, lethargy and inappetence (and now anorexia) are nonspecific and nondiagnostic symptoms of illness in our cats. Most important, a 12 year old doesn't have the reserve of a much younger cat and so a couple of days of not eating and drinking well will leave these cats profoundly dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced. Ideally, an on-call vet should take a look at Twinkles at your earliest convenience if only to administer subcutaneous fluids until Twinkles can be seen by her own vet tomorrow. If this isn't possible, you can administer a pediatric fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte with a small poultry baster placed between Twinkles's cheek teeth and cheek. Her daily requirement for fluids approximates 1 ounce/lb of body weight which is nigh impossible to give orally but every little bit helps.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Yes, we will take her to an open pet clinic to administer fluids as you have described. Thanks...

You're welcome. I'm pleased to hear that Twinkles will be attended to promptly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.