Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My 2 yr old cat recently started dragging her across the

Customer Question

My 2 yr old cat recently started dragging her butt across the floor it seems to remove small amounts of feces. Should I take her in to our vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your cat is "scooting". My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Scooting can be a sign that her anal glands are impacted, or infected. You would need to take her to your veterinarian to have these glands, inside her anus, checked. We also do see cats do this if they are having problems pushing out stool completely, and that usually is seen in overweight cats. Is she a normal healthy weight?

You can try adding stool softeners or fiber to her food, which might help her pass her stool more easily. Canned unsweetened pumpkin, or cooked sweet potato are good sources of fiber that most cats will eat.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any more questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you saw my response; I have not heard back from you! How is she doing? Do you have any other questions?