Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

His purr has become less deep and resonant. It is now high

Customer Question

His purr has become less deep and resonant. It is now high pitched and sometimes includes chirping sounds. He opens his mouth during part of his breathing cycle - I believe the exhalation, but it could be inhalation, I'm not sure. He has not been able to meow with his normal voice for quite some time, and his breathing contains various wheezes and whistles. He has had feline herpes as long as we've had him (over a decade - we adopted him from the street when he was a stray).
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the stray cat?
Customer: Did you read what I just wrote? Your answer would seem to indicate that you did not.
JA: Where does the stray cat seem to hurt?
Customer: You must be a non-human AI program, is that correct?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Veterinarian. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Did you read my first paragraph?
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Nothing visually except for the open mouth during part of the breathing cycle.
JA: Is AI eating normally?
Customer: AI is what I wrote indicating that I believe that you are not a human being, but an AI application, AI standing for, of course, "artificial intelligence". And yes, our cat is eating normally.
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is AI having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is AI behaving differently?
Customer: Eyes open frequently while lying down, i.e., in resting posture which would normally indicate sleep, but with eyes open, usually partially open. Once again, mouth open while breathing and making chirping sounds during the part of the breathing cycle where the mouth is open. By the way, once again, the cat's name is ***** ***** AI stands for artificial intelligence, which is what you are powered by. You are obviously not a perosn named Pearl. Obviously, this is fraudulent in that you are an AI program that keys on specific words and figures out what it thinks people are saying, such as what the pet's name is. I have never given you our pet's name, but for some reason, the artificial intelligence is notso hotso and thinks that's what the cat's name is. You'll probably start referring to the cat as "notso hotso" now.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help,. How old is,?
Customer: Approx 13-16. Yeah, of things can cause lethargy. But what things can cause the cat's purr to significantly change? What things can cause the cat to loose the ability to vocalize? What things cause the cat to open it's mouth during only one portion of it's breathing cycle?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about,?
Customer: I think that's it. Inability to vocalize for over six months. Purr changing significantly - from deep normal cat's purr to high pitched raspy chirping. Wheezing and whistle sounds while breathing. Sneezing and hacking. Open mouth during part of the breathing cycle along with rasping sound. That's quite a bit.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like he has a sore throat and upper respiratory infection.

Give him 2 drops of honey every 4 hours to sooth his throat.

Rub a drop into his gums to raise his blood sugar.

Make a steam room by running a hot shower. Take him in the bathroom for ten minute intervals.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl. Let him lap it up for hydration.

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food with no onion or garlic.

Give him an antihistamine:

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so he will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,