Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat has taken to hiding under my bed...she is normally

Customer Question

my cat has taken to hiding under my bed...she is normally very friendly and outgoing. when I take her out she is shaking and trying to get away. when I let her go she goes back to the hiding spot. she is eating and drinking though. no one was home when this behavior started. Should I be taking her to my nearest vet. she is between 12 and 14 years old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now withdrawing is a vague clinical sign in cats, but one we need to take seriously at her age. Often this is related to stress or when they feel particularly vulnerable (especially when unwell or injured), so she is telling us that she doesn't feel right and is feeling so off she cannot pretend all is well as cats generally do. Therefore, we need to tread with care. If she is eating and drinking normally, can pass urine/stool without issue, and hasn't any changes to her breathing, pain when feel her, and her gums are pink as usual; then you can monitor her now that you are home.That way you can determine if she was just feeling insecure on her own. But if she doesn't come out and continues to hide (or has any of those red flag signs I noted), then we'd want her seen urgently to make sure there is nothing amiss and nip any issues in the bud for her at this delicate age.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.