Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Mt 16year old cat has been having mushy reddish stools that

Customer Question

mt 16year old cat has been having mushy reddish brown stools that are almost shinny and has been having bathroom accidents .what does this indicate
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The shiny part of the stool you are seeing in your cat is probably mucus; the lining of the colon can produce a lot of mucus especially if there is colitis (inflammation of the lining of the colon). The stools being mushy, and reddish are also signs of colitis.

Cats with colitis sometimes have to defecate urgently, and miss the litter box.

Colitis can be caused by many things: eating something irritating, a diet change, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), parasites, infection, cancer. Trying a bland diet (boiled chicken with a little bit of rice, Royal Canin GI diet, etc.) may help. Probiotics (beneficial bacteria supplements) like Fortiflora or Proviable (available without prescription) may help.

If this has been going on for awhile, and if probiotics and a diet change do not help, she may need to be examined by your veterinarian and get prescription medication, or be tests for infection or parasites.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Please let me know if this was helpful, and how your cat is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?