Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My 1 yr old cat seems to be sleeping more and not as

Customer Question

My 1 yr old cat seems to be sleeping more and not as interested in his normal activity. We have houseguest who are much louder than we are normally. Is his behavior a sign of stress?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Fusion had these signs?

Has he had any other signs (ie appetite loss, vomiting, lip licking, sneezing, coughing, breathing changes, urinating less or straining to do so etc)?

How long since he last passed urine?

Is he hiding away ?

When you visit him with him does he seem lethargic or just scared?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just about the last 12-18 hours.....he is sleeping in his normal spot and just goes back there. Last night he did play with me. He passed urine last night and seems to be eating normally.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he is passing urine, since we can see cats with urinary blockages (a feline emergency) appear off color and quiet at times. So, its always good to rule that out. Otherwise, I am not convinced that he is just stressed. Stress cats can sleep more and go off usual activities but often they withdraw and hide away in places where they feel the "threat" cannot get them. So, I would be more suspicious of brewing infection that his immune system may be in the process of fighting off but is drawing energy away from him.

So, while we do want the guest to perhaps tone down the volume and could consider using a de-stressing treatment (ie Feliway/Comfort Zone, Kalmaid, Composure, Bach's Pet Rescue Remedy), we do need to keep a close eye on him. We want to make sure he continues to eat and drink well, as well as continues to pass normal urine and feces. Any changes to these or if he doesn't perk up over the weekend, then we'd want to have a check up to make sure nothing is brewing that his immune system may need help with (ie antibiotics) to clear.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )