Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My oriental Siamese is acting like she is going to gag, but

Customer Question

My oriental Siamese is acting like she is going to gag, but doesn't. She has trouble meowing and swallowing. Just started earlier today and didn't think much about it, but got home tonight and she is noticeably uncomfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the Siamese will be able to digest that. What is the Siamese's name and age?
Customer: Tarra 4.5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tarra?
Customer: She has all her shots and is not positive for feline leukemia. She had an allergic reaction a few months ago to a flea and tick treatment, but recovered.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you're seeing signs of an upper respiratory infection, most notably laryngitis. This can lead to difficulty swallowing, gagging and an abnormal sound to the meow.

Most of these are viral, so they will resolve on their own over 5-7 days. I'll often times use an anti-inflammatory medication (Metacam or Onsior) and an antibiotic to get them to clear up faster.

If she is not wanting to eat her food, then I would try a canned diet warmed up in the microwave. If she's unable to get it down, then I would get her seen right away to make sure there's not an obstruction in her esophagus- this would be pretty rare.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have Metacam here. She weighs 9.5 lbs. how much could I give her?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

You would give 0.2 mg. If it's 1.5 mg/mL, that would be 0.13 mL.