Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has some type of a cyst or boil and I took a picture

Customer Question

My cat has some type of a cyst or boil and I took a picture of it. It started small and this is the size it has been now for 2 weeks. It's black and has a few small holes on it. Looks like its all blood inside and hard but only on the skin. I have images
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Shellre, you can upload images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Please check the photo(s) before uploading to make sure that they're in focus. I'll watch for the pics.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot find where the paper clip is
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found it here is the image
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help. He is 20 years old. Nebelung breed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is another image

Thank you! This actually is a skin tumor rather than cyst or boil. Because it has enlarged so quickly and is heavily pigmented, a dangerous melanoma needs to be considered. It should be surgically removed and because Crimson is so elderly, I would remove it with just a local anesthetic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this might be clearer
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im at work and cannot make a call.

No worries. My state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Our messages appear to have crossed. Here's what I posted above: "Thank you! This actually is a skin tumor rather than cyst or boil. Because it has enlarged so quickly and is heavily pigmented, a dangerous melanoma needs to be considered. It should be surgically removed and because Crimson is so elderly, I would remove it with just a local anesthetic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish."