Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Is there anything to do with a.kitten who vomits up light

Customer Question

is there anything to do with a.kitten who vomits up light brown liquid stuff like water and has diahrrea thats runny like water. she plays once in awhile but lays around alot. its been going on since yesterday. does she have parvo or what? my son found hrr 3 weeks ago and udk how she is. she has played and been happtil yesterday. she jerks and tongue hangs out when.gors to vomit. can i give her shot? she eats.dry kitten food and drinks water.out of bowl. she craps in litterbox but.once in awhile in another glenda bankston(###) ###-####
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry your kitten is ill. It is not parvo. Parvo is a virus that puppies get but does not typically cause GI signs (vomiting and diarrhea). Given her history, I would be more concerned about GI parasites causing the vomiting and diarrhea. There are also viral causes of diarrhea in kittens but this requires supportive care like hospitalization, fluids, or anti-nausea medication and with this she will either get better or not. If it has been going on for more than a week, I am more concerned about parasites. I recommend taking her to a vet so they can prescribe a dewormer for her. They can also give her medication to help her stop vomiting. There is nothing that can be given at home to such a young cat, all of the anti-nausea medications that would be used are prescription.

Was I able to answer your question today?