Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

We had a small grease fire in the kitchen with a lot of

Customer Question

We had a small grease fire in the kitchen with a lot of smoke. Our cat hide under the couch right by the kitchen. I'm thinking he inhaled smoke
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Stumpy he's 4
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: He was born without a tail so we kept him and my son named him stumpy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: When we finally got him out from under the couch he was panting like a dog.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Stumpy was exposed to smoke tonight. How is his breathing now? Did he calm down after being pulled out from under the couch?

Can you count his breathing rate now? Watch him breathe and count how many times his belly rises in 15 seconds and then multiply that by 4. That is the number of breaths per minute. Normal for a cat is 16 to 44. Above 60 is considered labored breathing.

If his breathing is labored or very fast, you will need to take him to your local animal emergency room as soon as possible. The treatment for smoke inhalation is oxygen support and they should have an oxygen cage to place her in.

If his breathing rate is within normal, I would continue to monitor him for at least 12 hours. Lung damage from smoke inhalation can take up to 12 hours to show symptoms.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has calmed down alot

Great to hear! Without disturbing him, can you count how many breaths he is taking in one minute?

How is your kitten today? Any more signs of problems with the smoke or labored breathing? Did you end up taking him to your vet?

Dr. Amanda