Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I have a female cat who is 20 1/2 years old who at times

Customer Question

I have a female cat who is 20 1/2 years old who at times acts disorented and forgets to get in her litter box, is this normal for a cat this age
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, unfortunately, older cats can suffer from dementia or other metabolic conditions such as liver disease that will make them forget where to go and act disoriented. It would be good to have your vet run lab work to determine if this is dementia or caused by a disease that could be treated such as liver or kidney disease. For now, you may try purchasing Feliway at the pet store. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and if she is feeling some anxiety that is causing this inappropriate elimination, this will help. It also may help to have more than 1 litter box so sweet Abbie has a choice. If she is using a certain spot, place aluminum foil there so it makes noise when she goes there and discourage her from using that spot...just a thought although, I worry that she is suffering from a metabolic disease due to her advanced age.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.
Hi Janette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abbie. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta