Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

What are the symptoms of feline herpes?

Customer Question

What are the symptoms of feline herpes?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Rusty. Is your boy showing any symptoms at all at the moment? Is he up to date with his vaccinations? Once you get back to me I'll put a full answer together regarding your boy along with the common symptoms of the feline herpes virus.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Are you there? While you get back to me, the most common symptoms of feline herpes virus in a kitten of around 4 months of age (like Rusty) are sneezing, nasal (and ocular discharge (usually a runny fluid) and red conjunctiva (conjunctivitis). In severe cases, herpes virus can cause fever, lethargy and a loss of appetite. If Rusty had herpes virus, with time, he may be more prone to develop secondary infections, as well as to develop severe gingivitis. It can be difficult to definitely diagnose herpes virus, as it often goes hand in hand with calici virus, and so virus isolation is the best way to confirm or rule out herpes virus in cats.

If you want more specific info on Rusty, please get back to me so I can help further.

Kind Regards,

Dr E