Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Please help Sunday morning I woke up to vomit all over my

Customer Question

Hello, please help
Sunday morning I woke up to vomit all over my house. My cat had been throwing up all day Sunday as well until I took him to the vet. They gave him cerenia, and overnight he had not vomited but was making weird meowing noises, also had not eaten or drank anything. So Monday morning 7am I took him back to the vet for bloodwork and a urinalysis which came back normal and standard.. The kept him till 5. He had been put on fluids and at 3pm they gave him another dose (oral this time) of cerenia as well as a appetite enhancer. We picked him up at 5pm. He pee'd right away in the litter box and ate a very little bit maybe 3 times. He still won't drink and he is still not being himself . I'm really worried. He's 4yrs old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Been longer then 10 mins. Please refund and disregard question. I needed a response asap.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Phil vomited profusely overnight on Saturday, continued to vomit on Sunday, and despite treatment is still not himself.

Vomiting and nausea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, eating something he should not (like a piece of a toy or string), inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract.

The good news is that his bloodwork and urinalysis this morning were within normal limits, he has not vomited anymore, and he did eat a small amount. Was a blood test called a feline specific pancreatic lipase (fel spec PL) done? Pancreatitis in cats can lead to horrible abdominal pain and significant vomiting.

Cats with nausea will often vocalize as a response to abdominal pain and discomfort, so I am not necessarily surprised that he was vocalizing. After 24+ hours of that sort of vomiting I can imagine his abdomen was very sore. I assume that he he has stopped that now?

I am not surprised that he isn't drinking. Cats tend to drink very little normally and since he received fluids his body likely isn't telling him to drink.

Appetite stimulants like Mirtazapine also have some effects on behavior. Some cats will vocalize more, act a bit drunk, and seem spacey after taking it. So that too may be playing a part in him not seeming to be himself.

Cerenia is an excellent anti-nausea drug, it works on the stomach to ease nausea as well as the nausea center in the brain. So it too can have an effect on the brain and behavior.

I understand your worry, but at this point I see many positive signs that he may come along.

The behavioral effects of Mirtazapine and Cerenia should lessen over the next 2-3 days. And he should start eating better and drinking more.

If he seems to be worsening again then I would test him for pancreatitis if that hasn't been done and consider an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate his abdomen further, looking for signs of an obstruction, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, or an abdominal mass, including infiltrative type intestinal cancer or a discrete tumor.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They said they had to send out another bloodwork for the pancreatic test. They said to wait till tomorrow and if he gets worse then we send the bloodwork . Phil isn't the type to eat strings and toys. Thank you for your response. I just wanted a 2nd opinion. Everything you said. My vet said as well. I'm so scared. I love this cat more than myself and husband
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

It makes complete sense to give him a little more time because he has stopped vomiting and managed to eat, and then send out the fel spec PL if he isn't coming along or relapses.

I understand that it is scary to see him that sick, and feel so helpless because he cannot tell us what hurts. But what your veterinarian has done so far is reasonable and sensible. I know it's hard to wait, but I think it is the best course of action.

Sorry for my slow typing, please let me know if you have any further questions.