Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Ben is a morkey lately when taking him out he likes his paws

Customer Question

ben is a morkey lately when taking him out he likes his paws and they turn the hair pink
he is always biting them what do i do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Ben's signs, it sounds like he is chewing his feet due to a seasonal or pollen based allergy. Therefore, we do need to try and reduce that allergic irritation for him. To start, when he comes in from walks, we'd want to rinse his feet with cool water to remove any pollens or irritants. If there are any sores, you can salt bathe them instead. This be done 2-3 times daily and afterwards we can pat the feet dry. To prevent chewing and his making this a habit, we may need to use an e-collar for the short term or cover his feet with baby socks (not bandages though since we need this to be breathable material like socks). This will prevent self harm and let the inflammation settle (and help settle the discoloration of the hair as well). And if we are keeping him from chewing, we can also apply OTC hydrocortisone cream or spray to reduce the irritation further for him.

Finally, since these signs tends to linked to allergies, you can try an OTC antihistamine with him. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if severe, then we may need his vet to dispense a stronger option like steroids, Apoquel or Atopica to nip this irritation in the bud before he causes himself an even itchier skin infection.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.