Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Her tail is down and limp - she usually has it up - when I

Customer Question

Her tail is down and limp - she usually has it up - when I try to lift it it just falls - otherwise she seems to be feeling all right
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No - no injury that I know of - I do have another cat and they do play rough sometimes
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Abbey is just 7 years last week
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abbey?
Customer: To my knowledge she is in perfect health - has a vet appointment 2 x year
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Abbey's situation with her tail. How long has it been this limp? Have you seen her since it started urinate in a controlled manner?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
about 48 hours

I'm again sorry to hear this situation is going on. Honestly, at this point, just getting her to your regular vet is the very first thing that needs to be done for Abbey. With that tail hanging straight down, I'm worried that there is a fracture at the base of the tail. I see one of these every 6 months or so at my ER. She could have had it broke and this is causing it to hang limply. The most important thing when this happens, is to make sure that they can continue to urinate in a controlled manner. Some tail fractures can affect their ability to urinate. If it is broke, then most likely there isn't a whole lot that can be done but time. I'll be honest and a fair number of these cats need their tail amputated because of this as they start to get sores on the tail from not feeling it.